We sprang (I’ve been told that’s not a word) ahead last night as our clocks went forward and…what does that mean!? Spring has almost sprung (I’ve been told that’s not a word either)!
Spring is a time of renewal where we usually do some spring cleaning in our homes and maybe a spring cleanse for our bodies. If you do those things already, right on! You are right on track with nature. Flowers bloom and trees get new buds – it’s natures way of waking up after a long sleepy winter and we tend to do the same.
Just as doshas govern a certain time of day, the energies also govern certain times of year (see chart above). Mid-winter thru Spring is Kapha time. This is the time we are prone to colds with heaviness in the chest, maybe a cough and the sniffles. In spring we also tend to get allergies with similar problems. This is because wetness and heaviness (melting snow, rain, humidity) is dominant in the atmosphere and those with kapha constitutions, will feel similar effects in their bodies.
To keep balanced during spring, we can follow some tips to stay healthy and enjoy the renewal of spring! It may help to review what balances kapha.
• Do a spring cleanse, or panchakarma if you have access (and time and money)
• Drink warm liquids like spicy teas
• Avoid cold foods and drinks, no ice cream until summer!
• Favor dry & light foods: warm veggies with spices, cinnamon toast, legumes, greens, spicy liquid soups, salsa
• Break a sweat! Exercise regularly to keep your inner fire stoked
• No yogurt
• Let go. spring clean your house, bedroom, closet, or work space – you need to lighten the load because kapha attaches to things
• Scents like eucalyptus, cloves, lavender or patchouli are kapha balancing. Either in essential oils, aromatherapy or incense.