A new-comer to HeyMonicaB had a great question about a neti pot and allergies and I thought, “Really? Did I ‘blah blah’ about allergy tips and forgot to mention the infamous neti pot!?” Yep, I totally forgot. Well, let me fill you IN! Really important for colds, hay fever, seasonal allergies, along with other kapha imbalance in the sinuses, is the Neti Pot! (I just googled “neti pot” images and some of the pics are soooo funny...)
Chemicals, polution, dust, pollen, and other junk from the environment gets stuck in our noses from all the breathing we do…so we should clean it out! We clean out our eyes, mouth, and ears – our nose needs some TLC too. The salt is warming, while the water is also warming and liquid. The excess kapha (snot) is then loosened and can escape through the opposite nostril.
It’s not the most attractive excercise (for a little laugh, google images), but it works like magic! And it’s easy! And when you get hang of it, you will feel SO GREAT! Here’s how to do it:
1. Get a neti pot (any pharmacy or drug store – they are cheap)
2. Fill the pot with warm tap water (not hot, not cold)
3. Add 1/2-1 tsp salt water to the pot and dissolve completely
4. Put the spout in one nostril, tilt your head to the side and slightly forward
6. Breathe through your mouth (relax!), and then the water will flow from one nostril thru the other
7. Water should not come out your mouth. If it does, tilt your forehead down
8. When you’re done, blow your nose
That’s it! I tried it and gagged a little bit at first, but then I got the hang of it – totally relieved my cold. I will do it again for the rest of my life. It’s MUCH better than over-the-counter drugs riddled with side effects AND it’s much better than suffering. A lovely alternative, give it a try! And, let me know what you think.